Time is on my side.

Every individual takes time for granted.  I remember wishing for certain milestones to hit: "I can't wait to turn 16 so I can drive!  I can't wait to turn 21 so I can drink.  I can't wait until I can buy a house!" (Because being able to buy a house you finally have your life together, right?)  For nearly the past three and a half years, I have worked a job for 50+ hours per week as my fellow coworkers did.  If you want to get ahead, you have to pour a lot of your heart and soul into your job, which demands a great deal of effort...and time. 

Time is finite.  I don't want to run out of time.  I am watching one friend from afar struggle with a disease that could take her away from her daughter, husband, and family.  She exudes love in every FB post, showing the world that while the disease is in her body she still has a lot of fight in her.  I admire her heart and love her spirit.  She has many years yet, and I have learned that time is a commodity I don't want to live without.

Time for me.  Time for Evelyn.  Time for my family.

While working on a benefit, I have learned more about the caring individuals in the community that are so willing to help.  A special need reawakened in me.  I want to help others be the best versions of themselves possible.  I completed my degree in social working, hoping to improve the world.  While a friend refers to me as the "Bleeding Heart," I knew that it was time to stop working at my job of four years and continue the journey I started when I graduated from college.  After taking a giant leap of faith in myself, I put my notice in...then a week later, my faith was rewarded.

I am thrilled to travel the road ahead.  Thank you to those who have been there every step of the way, encouraging me to do what is in my heart.  I appreciate your letters of endorsement, your recommendations, your open communication.  Thank you for those I have met along the way who have been there with a smile, a hug, or a beer.

Most importantly, I want to thank Evelyn and Jake.  They have spent so much time away from me, allowing me to evolve into the person I am right now.  I want to be as good a person as my daughter sees me. 

I want to show her that having a full heart makes us richer than full bank accounts ever will.

Comments

Popular Posts